Two critical after Aurora motel fire; heater blamed

Article From: The Daily Herald

Article Date: January, 11, 2014

Two people are in critical condition at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood after a fire Friday night in their room at this Aurora motel, fire officials said Saturday.

The cause of the fire in the 1000 block of East Benton Street appears to be the wall heater in the room, fire officials said. Smoke detectors were present, but the smoke detector in the room was not operating, officials said in a news release. The smoke detector in the hall outside the room was working. The fire was investigated by the Aurora Fire Department Arson Team.

The fire department responded at 7:30 p.m. and found heavy smoke and a small fire in a first-floor room of the building. Searching the room, firefighters found two victims.

(The full text of the article was printed at https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140111/news/701119858/).